Cobb Schools 8,000+ Graduates Earn $118 Million in Scholarships

As the more than 8,000 Cobb County School District graduates walk across the stage this week, a record 94% of graduates who have been enrolled with Cobb since their freshmen year are graduating on time. Not only are a record percentage of students graduating on time, 75% are stepping toward the next phase in their educational journey as they enroll in a university or technical college.  Most of the remaining 25% are directly entering the workforce thanks to Cobb’s Career, Technology, and Agricultural Program (CTAE).

Those Cobb graduates who are continuing their education will do so with approximately $118 million in scholarship offers which doesn’t include the HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships available to qualifying students. Hillgrove High School graduates earned more than $12.6 million. Pope High School seniors also topped $12 million.

Other graduates will further their knowledge-base with on the job-training, like the 10 Kennesaw Mountain High School students who already signed with career tech employers to start putting to work what they learned in the classroom in high-earning careers.

“Seeing the look on each of our 8,000 graduates faces as they walk across graduation stages this week is how I know we’re successful. More than numbers, more than percentages, more than programs. Preparing each of our students to be ready for the world of college and career is why we exist, I couldn’t be more proud of the class of 2019. They are equipped with the skills and knowledge they need as they enter college, technical school, the military, or go straight into the workforce,” said Cobb Schools Superintendent Chris Ragsdale.

The Class of 2019 includes 19 Georgia Scholars, a Presidential Scholar, a host of National Merit Scholars and Finalists. Almost 200 graduates plan to join the U.S. military and will represent Cobb in all four branches of the armed forces.

Leading the Cobb Class of 2019, the average Cobb valedictorian graduates with a 4.68 GPA. Walton High School’s valedictorian William Ellsworth leads the group of high-achieving students with a staggering 4.875 GPA. North Cobb High School, Kennesaw Mountain High School, and Campbell High School’s valedictorians are also graduating with GPAs above 4.8. With an average of a 4.66 GPA, Cobb salutatorians are not far behind.

Several of the valedictorians and salutatorians are attending the Georgia Institute of Technology and the University of Georgia. The elite group also includes students headed to Harvard University, Yale University, Stanford University, and Cornell University.

“Congratulations, 2019 Cobb Schools graduates! As you move into the future, I’m proud of what you have and will accomplish. You are why exist and we look forward to hearing what you will do to make this community, state, and country a better place,” Superintendent Ragsdale said.

High School Valedictorian Salutatorian
Allatoona High School Madeline Grace Dong John Michael Beavers
Campbell High School Tarannum Lakdawala Maeve Breathnach
Claudio Cichi
Alexander Eaton
Dinachi Okonkwo
Lyric Vinson
Harrison High School Madison Grosse Anna Nichols
Hillgrove High School Brooke Hansbrough Samuel Jensen
Kell High School Anabelle Alejandra Colmenares Mayz Thomas Papageorge
Kennesaw Mountain High School Halli Watson Dorian Kidonakis
Christina Woodrow
Lassiter High School Kevin Bernard Goshay Dennis Gregory Goldenberg
McEachern High School Jeanette Elizabeth Conti Rachel Helen Lester
North Cobb High School Rebekah Ruth Geil Spencer Dalton Paige
Osborne High School Lorena Vargas Oviedo Daja Arianna Wells
Pebblebrook High School Uchenna “Daniel” Williams Liliana Carlos-Valentino
Pope High School Nicole Yoojin Kang Karen Sizhe Li
Edward Charles Kokan
South Cobb High School Kyndall Payton Ali Mehreganfar
Sprayberry High School Yllona Maria Coronado Samuel August Knobbe
Anusha Kayastha Matthew Robert Starker
Walton High School William Ellsworth Daniel Shu
Wheeler High School Rucha Gharpure Keshav Shenoy