During their second virtual meeting, the Cobb County School District’s Board of Education reviewed the success of how the District has responded to the unprecedented statewide school closure.
The Board members heard how four weeks of quarantine in Cobb Schools has shown Cobb staff, parents, and community members coming together to support the District’s continued mission of One Team, One Goal: Student Success.
“The classrooms may look different and our teachers may be using different methods to provide lessons than in the past, but students are learning and that is what is most important. I am very appreciative of the work of our team and community. Our teachers and leaders took our established resources, including 700,000 digital resources, and adapted them quickly for digital learning to continue to support each and every student,” said Cobb Schools Superintendent Chris Ragsdale.
The grading policy and four-day school week decisions announced last week allow students and families to make decisions, which are best for them without worrying about a negative impact on their academic careers.
Through a partnership with MUST Ministries, school staff has provided 679,700 lbs. of food for students in need. Thanks to donations and support from throughout the community and a host of alumni, the Cobb Schools Foundation has been able to provide more than 600 digital devices to students so they can continue their learning at home.
“I’m proud of what I have seen and heard regarding the continued teaching and learning that is taking place. Teachers are able to focus on engaging students in learning versus worrying about standardized tests. Our educators are truly partnering with our parents to support our students and provide flexibility for each family’s unique circumstances,” said Cobb Schools Board Chair Brad Wheeler.
In addition to other Board business, the Board Members also approved personnel changes including four new principals and a retirement.
- Angelle, Dr. Felicia, Reassignment to Principal, Keheley Elementary School from Director, Instruction and Innovative Practice, Teaching and Learning, Academics Division, effective July 1, 2020.
- Appleyard, Jessica, Reassignment to Principal, Pitner Elementary School from Principal, Mount Bethel Elementary School effective July 1, 2020.
- Hosey, Dr. Ashley, Reassignment to Principal, Floyd Middle School from Principal, Pitner Elementary School effective July 1, 2020.
- Joshua, Travis, Principal, Lindley Middle School, Resignation effective May 29, 2020.
- Lattizori, Robin, Assistant Superintendent, Leadership Division, Retirement effective June 1, 2020.
- Smith, Tucker, Reassignment to Principal, Mount Bethel Elementary School from Principal, Keheley Elementary School effective July 1, 2020.